Simple Fitness Suggestions
Some people might argue they are too busy to exercise. Try these tips to get moving throughout the day:
- Walk the stairs (up or down) instead of riding the elevator.
- Squeeze in short spurts of exercise – do 50 jumping jacks while waiting for the water to boil on the stovetop, do 25 sit-ups when first waking or before bedtime, keep light hand weights near the television and lift during commercials.
- For those with children, take a walk with the child or turn on one of their music tapes and dance with them.
- For those with a dog, take the dog for an extra walk each day.
- March in place while watching television.
- Stand instead of sitting while talking on the phone because it burns extra calories.
Easy Exercise at Work
People work in different locations and circumstances. So some might have more flexibility for exercise, depending on their job. Here are some specific suggestions for a more active day while at work, especially for those who sit at a desk each day:
- If the situation allows, walk to work instead of riding or driving.
- Don’t use the phone to talk to a person sitting close by; walk and talk to them in person.
- Instead of sitting down for the whole lunch break, take a 20- or 30-minute walk and then sit down to eat a quick, light lunch.
- Stand up from the desk and do a few minutes of shadow boxing.
- The parking spot in front of the building might be empty; but why not park at the edge of the lot and walk some distance to the building?